Desk-top computers with office software and internet access are available in the library. Both black & white and color printing are available for a small fee. WiFi access is available for patrons with their own devices.
The Pottstown Regional Public Library offers computer classes to the public. Please check the event calendar for a schedule of these classes.
In compliance with the Child Internet Protection Act, all library computers will have filtered Internet access as of July 2004. Adults may request the filtering software be disabled during use, if so desired. Internet filtering software is not foolproof and does not take the place of parental supervision.
1. The Internet is a global entity with a highly diverse user population and library patrons use it at their own risk. Not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete or current information. Users are responsible for determining the validity and reliability of the information located. The Pottstown Regional Public Library cannot be held responsible for the Internet’s content or for any misuse of copyright or any other violation, nor is it responsible for any liability or expense you may incur during use.
2. The Internet computers will not be used for any illegal or criminal activity or to access pornography. Keep in mind that it is a felony offense in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania “To display or cause to display any explicit sexual material...on any… viewing screen in such manner that the display is visible…in any establishment where minors, as part of the general public, may be exposed to view all or any part of such materials.” (18 Pa. C.S.A. Section 5903)
3. Users may not attempt to tamper, modify, or vandalize the software or hardware configurations on library computers.
4. All Internet users must log on to the computers using their own library card number. Cardholders with overdue materials or fines and fees exceeding $5.00 will be prohibited logging on. Those persons who are not eligible to apply for a library card at this library must present a driver’s license or other valid form of identification and will be permitted access using a guest card.
5. Internet use and reservations are on a first-come, first-serve basis, and are limited to sessions 1/2 hour in length with a limit of 90 minutes per day. Staff reserves the right to grant extended use in special circumstances that may require an uninterrupted session or longer period of use. Sessions may be reserved in advance within the same day. The library reserves the right to ask anyone to leave when deemed necessary by library employees. Computers will be shut down fifteen minutes prior to closing the library.
6. Users will be charged 25 cents per page for black and white and 50 cents for color printouts. Larger sizes of paper have different fee rates.
7. A maximum of two people are allowed at any one workstation at one time.
8. Users are not permitted to download to the computer’s hard drive. Thumb Drives are available to purchase for $10.00 for the purpose of downloading.
9. As with other library materials, restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian. Only a parent/legal guardian may restrict their children, and only their children, from access to Internet resources available through the library. The parent/legal guardian, not the library, is responsible for monitoring their children’s Internet use.
10. Failure to comply with the above rules may result in denial of Internet use privileges.